Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Do you remember that loooooong stretch from Halloween to Christmas, after all the bags of chips and little chocolate bars and even the candy kisses from your Halloween treat bag were gone and still your family hadn’t put up the Christmas decorating? The bright lights of Christmas seemed so unbearably far away and you hadn’t even really had a pretty snowfall yet, and so, you scrunched down into your collar and silently trudged through the grey, cold days of November waiting for signs of the festive season ahead.

And then, one Sunday afternoon a few big, fat snowflakes fell and stayed on the trees in your backyard, you noticed your parents huddling in whispers and looking at your with bright eyes as they stirred hot chocolate on the stove. Soon you even caught yourself humming the song to Charlie Brown’s Christmas special.

My little plants feel like that today. They are now sentinels, potted and shelved, waiting for the landscapers to come and restore their earth.

They know it will be a momentous event that will leave them with the greatest present of all—new beds filled with rich earth and room to grow. So although they are scrunched into their pots they cannot help but glow a little in anticipation.

The dicentra ‘Candy Hearts’ has sent up some rosy buds.


The plants that suffered such a set-back in the cold only a short time ago have now bounced back and are sending up new babies.

Even one of our furry feline friends, Bob, has come outside to roll around and have his belly rubbed.

Surely the big day can’t be too far away now, can it?

8 comments:

Northern Shade said...

Ah, nice fertile soil in which to spread your roots out. I bet with the snow today they are confused, wondering whether to anticipate Christmas or spring. It will be fun when you can start planting and rearranging.

Jan said...

My goodness, I'm sorry it's still so cold where you are! BUT, at least you are seeing life, and signs of life, and GREEN! Don't you love it when little plants we think have died start sending out shoots or little green stems then leaves, and even buds and blooms? It's all such a wonderful mystery and miracle;-) Bud is certainly one cool cat;-) (although he looks a little irritated that he has to pose for the photo!!) ha ha.

Northern Beauty Seeker said...

NS: No doubt they want to burrow back into the ground today and forget they ever came up. I kinda feel like doing that myself :)

Jan: The first thing I want to do when I get home is check and see what has grown. I haven't kept track before, but I swear this is one of the coldest spring's ever! Bob is a cool cat, too cool to pose for a pic...us paparazzi are sooo boring, you know :)

Anonymous said...

I look forward to seeing how things progress. There is nothing quite like starting off with a (almost)clean slate. Have fun!

Ellie Mae's Cottage said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I'm a fairly new gardener too so I can relate. It's been cold where I am too in New England. There's a frost alert for tonight... can't wait for the warmth of summer. I'll be stopping by your blog often... can't wait to see the progress. :) -Jackie

Northern Beauty Seeker said...

athysse: Thank you and welcome! I am really enjoying all the planning and research.

Ellie Mae's Cottage: Thanks for stopping by:)
I really enjoy your blog - great sense of humour and a lovely garden!

Ruthie Redden said...

oh my! is it really that cold were you are still, i shall not complain of a few chills here! all the waiting will be so very worth it in the end!!

Northern Beauty Seeker said...

Hi Ruthie: the warm weather arrived all at once today. I truly believe winter has left in a huff, once and for all.
As soon as the landscapers are done I will living out there every spare moment! :)