Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Anticipation

Some people looks for signs of the apocalypse, gardeners look for signs of spring. And that's why we rock. 

Last fall--a late, beautiful fall--we went a little crazy planting bulbs. The spring before was very late and the few bulbs we did have were the only thing that sustained me. To ensure my sanity this year, I really stocked up last September.

What keeps me dreaming...
Now, wonders of wonders, we are having an early spring. (Thank the gardening gods, I must have been a VERY good girl this year to get both a nice fall and an early spring!)

Signs of spring abound. A robin AND a buttercup were spotted about 100 km south of here (the buttercup even made the news!), Canada geese have been flying over our city all week, and snow piles are melting. Yesterday, I was almost sure I saw some greening grass on a southwest facing slope.  

So, yes, the signs are here. However, I am the proactive type so I'm going to meet Spring personally. That's right, at the end of the month during my son's spring break we are once again off to Victoria, BC, to visit Spring at her home. I can. not. wait!!! Now, hopefully, when I come back, spring will have arrived ahead of me. :)

I hope you are all enjoying the anticipation this season brings. :)

4 comments:

Anna said...

An early spring - how exciting :) It seems one step forwards and two back here at but we are slowly getting there. We have little daffies in flower which is a positive sign. Hope that you enjoy meeting Spring in her own court and then again when you get home to see the rewards of all that planting.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Ms. S ... How lucky are you to visit Spring on here on home ground !
Here ? ... well for the second day of Spring ..(hysterical laughing here) it is snowing yet again .. although it is supposed to turn to rain .. we shall see ? .. I have snow mountains on top of my front garden where many daffs were planted .. so I am trying not to lose what is left of my mind and think positive ?
Hope you are having a wonderful time there and that you will post pictures!!
Take care
Joy : )

Marguerite said...

I hope spring is waiting for you when you return from your vacation. Enjoy the sunshine while you're gone and let's hope for some photos of blooms when you return. I planted about 80 tulips last fall and can't wait to see them all come up.

RURAL said...

It's the sound of the Canada geese, and the sight of the first crocus that stirs my heart. Great to know that there is early spring!

Jen